Summer 2017 at Hakuoh University in Oyama City, Japan
Hakuoh University in Oyama City, Tochigi Prefecture, 50 miles north of Tokyo, offers a 10-day summer homestay program to 7 UHCC students (one per campus if possible) who have demonstrated leadership in their community and/or school and want to learn first-hand about Japan and its culture. Students selected for the program will engage in intercultural activities with Hakuoh students, study Japanese culture, visit historical sites, and present a capstone project that reflects the participant's experience in serving his/her community and/or school. Participants are required to complete daily oral and written guided reflections and submit a culminating paper within one week upon return from Japan. Also, participants are expected to serve as a campus host and participate in activities with Hakuoh University students when they come to Hawai'i for their study tours.Dates: June 6 - June 16
Eligibility (must be met at the time of application):
- University of Hawai'i Community College student (based on home campus)
- Attended and completed one semester or more of credit courses at a UHCC campus
- Enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits)
- Hawai'i resident (according to UH records)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Minimum overall 2.5 GPA (GPA from all UH campuses combined)
- Student must be at least 18 years old at the time of departure
- As determined by your application:
- Volunteer service, including involvement in campus-based service (e.g., student council, organizations, etc.), service-learning, and/or community activities while in college.
- Strong interest in learning about Japan and Japanese culture. Students without previous studying/living/extensive travel experience abroad will be given priority.
- Ability and willingness to serve as campus host and participate in all Hakuoh activities in Hawai'i.
- Plan of how you will use this experience upon returning to Hawai'i.
Part of participants' expenses will be subsidized with funds from UHCC and Hakuoh University. The figures below are estimates and subject to change:
|Expenses||UHCC Pays:||Hakuoh University Pays:||Participant Pays:|
|Roundtrip Airfare||$500 subsidized||-------------||Remainder of airfare (approx. $300-$500)|
|Meals||-------------||70% - 80%||20% - 30%|
|Personal expenses||-------------||-------------||100% for expenses such as passport (up to $360), int'l travel insurance, Int'l Student ID Card, shopping, gifts, etc.|
More information can be found in the F.A.Q.
How to Apply: Apply Online (deadline: March 1, 2017 at 4:00pm HST).
Applications will be accepted beginning December 1, 2016.
Questions: Jami Kurtz,
(808) 956-3855 or email@example.com