Academic Year 2014 – 2015
The Honda Study Abroad Scholarship is awarded to five University of Hawai'i Community College (UHCC) students who wish to study overseas and incorporate an international educational experience into their academic program. The purpose of this scholarship is to promote international understanding through support for international travel and study. Students are selected on the basis of academic excellence and a focused and well-developed proposal. The scholarship can be used to support participation in a formal University of Hawai'i study abroad/exchange program or a study abroad program sponsored by another US or foreign university.
Awards of $2,000 will be given for 3-credit programs; $4,000 for 6-credit, 6-week program, or semester; and $8,000 for academic year-long programs. Students at all seven UHCC campuses are encouraged to apply. Interviews for finalists will be held in April 2014.
If selected, scholarship award will be processed after verification is received that the scholarship recipient is (1) enrolled in their specific study abroad/international exchange program, and (2) the program will proceed as scheduled.Dates: For study programs starting between May 2014 and April 2015
Eligibility (must be met at the time of application):
- University of Hawai'i Community College student (based on home campus)
- Hawai'i resident (according to UH records)
- Attended and completed one (1) or more semesters at a UHCC campus
- Students whose proposed international study program is at least three (3) credits or six (6) weeks
- Applicants may be enrolled part-time (at least 6 credits) but must be making progress towards a degree as evidenced by continuing enrollment and specific courses taken. Open to all majors
- Students of proven academic excellence and character
- Minimum cumulative 3.5 GPA (GPA from all UH campuses combined)
- Consideration will be given to volunteer service to the community and other activities and experience
- Students may be awarded a Honda Scholarship only once
How to Apply: Apply Online (deadline: March 1, 2014 at 4:00pm HST).
Applications will be accepted beginning December 1, 2013.
Questions: Karen Hayashida, Community Colleges & International Education Manager,
(808) 956-3855 or firstname.lastname@example.org